15 mins + 3 hours chill
These sweet little gingerbread people are the perfect gifting snack for Christmas. Made with Mainland Unsalted butter and packed with delicious spices, they’re sure to please family, friends, and the neighbours!
- 145g Mainland Unsalted Butter
- 150g soft brown sugar
- 200g golden syrup
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 450g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- Using a hand-held mixer or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter in a large bowl for 1 minute on medium speed until smooth and creamy.
- Add the brown sugar and golden syrup and beat on medium-high speed until combined and creamy-looking. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as you go, as needed.
- Add the egg and vanilla and beat on high speed for 2 minutes until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and ground spices.
- Add to the wet ingredients and mix on a low speed until combined. You’ll have a cookie dough that will be quite thick and slightly sticky.
- Divide the dough in half and wrap each piece tightly in plastic wrap. Pat down to create a disc shape. Please see photo and description above in my post. Chill the dough discs for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Preheat your oven to 175°C. Line 2-3 large baking sheets with baking paper.
- Remove one disc of chilled cookie dough from the refrigerator. Flour a work surface generously, as well as your hands and a rolling pin.
- Roll the dough disc out to 2-3cm thick and use your cookie cutters to cut into shapes.
- Place the shapes 2-3cm apart on the prepared baking sheets.
- Re-roll the dough scraps and cut more shapes until all the dough is used. Repeat with the remaining disc of dough.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until the cookies are golden and crisp on the edges.
- Place on a cooling rack. Cookies will keep in an airtight container for up to 5 days.