- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 25g butter
- 1 kg onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ½ cup red wine
- 1.2 litres beef stock
- 1 baguette, sliced
- 100g Mainland Havarti, grated
- chopped parsley to garnish
- Put the oil, butter, onions, sugar, salt and thyme in a large heavy based saucepan.
- Fry gently over a low heat for 20 minutes, covered, stirring occasionally until softened. Turn up the heat and cook until the onions caramelise, about 20 minutes.
- Add the flour and cook for a minute, then add the red wine and reduce by half. Add the beef stock and bring up to a simmer. Adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Put the bread slices on a tray and put under a grill to toast. Flip the bread over and top with the havarti. Put under the grill until melted and lightly browned.
- To serve ladle the soup into warmed bowls and add a couple of toasts on top of the soup. Garnish with a little parsley.