The perfect rustic wintery dish, our Colby vegetable gratin is bursting with flavour featuring yellow saffron cheese sauce. Best eaten from a bowl, but have a napkin at the ready as the bubbling cheese sauce may drip over in your mouth! Savour the taste with a warm syrah and you won't want to leave the house.
- 2 parsnips, peeled and cut into sticks
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into sticks
- 2 medium sized orange kumara, cut into bite sized pieces
- 8 baby potatoes, quartered
- 1 red onion, peeled and cut into wedges
- Spray olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 40g Mainland Natural Butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- Pinch of saffron threads
- 1 cup of grated Mainland Colby Cheese, plus extra for the top
- 3 slices ciabatta bread, finely cubed and pan fried with olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary leaves
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Place prepared vegetables in a single layer on a large roasting tray lined with baking paper. Spray with olive oil and season with salt.
- Roast for 25 minutes until just tender.
- Meanwhile heat butter in a medium saucepan then add flour and cook for 2-3 minutes or until pale golden and sandy in texture.
- Simmer milk and saffron for 2 minutes to release the flavour and colour. Gradually add milk to the flour mixture, stirring constantly until smooth and thickened.
- Stir in Mainland Colby Cheese and saffron threads and cook a further 2 minutes then season to taste.
- Spoon the cheese sauce over the vegetables and top with extra grated Colby cheese, the ciabatta crumbs and rosemary.
- Grill for 4-5 minutes until golden and bubbling.