With layers of eggplant, prosciutto and our Mozzarella Cheese, this delicious Italian-inspired cannelloni dish is sure to become a favourite at the dinner table. It’s elegant enough to serve for guests, but rustic and casual enough for everyday.
- 2 large eggplants, ends trimmed and cut lengthways into 1cm thick slices
- 40g Mainland Natural Butter, melted
- 200g thinly sliced prosciutto
- 450g Perfect Italiano Ricotta Cheese
- A handful of baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup grated Mainland Parmesan Cheese
- ½ cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 450g Italian tomato cooking sauce
- 2 cups Mainland Mozzarella Grated Cheese
- Brush eggplant slices with the melted Mainland Natural Butter and cook under a hot grill or on a grill plate until golden
- Combine spinach, ricotta, Parmesan Grated Cheese, parsley, egg, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl.
- Top each eggplant slice with prosciutto.
- Place tablespoons of cheese mixture along the narrow edge of the prosciutto and roll up firmly.
- Place the eggplant rolls in a buttered 25cm x 30cm baking dish and heat oven to 180°C.
- Pour the Italian tomato sauce over the eggplant rolls and sprinkle with Mozzarella Grated Cheese.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until cooked and golden.
- Serve with a crisp green salad and crusty bread.
Tip: Try using fresh basil instead of flat leaf parsley.