If you’ve never experimented with quinoa before, this is a great place to start. These tasty patties from Kelly Gibney work wonderfully as a burger alternative, wrapped in crisp lettuce. Featuring Mainland Organic Cheddar these babies are also delicious on top of salads or alongside steamed vegetables.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 3 garlic cloves - finely diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 cups grated Mainland Organic Cheddar
- 2 spring onions - green parts finely sliced
- Handful parsley - roughly chopped
- 1 free range egg - lightly beaten
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper
- Oil for sautéing
- Rinse the quinoa very well using a fine sieve. Place in a saucepan with the stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook with a lid slightly ajar for 15 - 18 minutes until tender and the liquid has been absorbed. Place the lid on snugly and leave for five minutes.
- Stir through the garlic, cumin, grated cheddar and spring onion. Leave to cool for 15 minutes before adding the parsley, egg and a generous seasoning of sea salt and cracked black pepper.
- Form balls of mixture (about the size of a ping pong ball) into patties. Place in the fridge for 30 - 60 minutes to firm.
- Heat a large spoonful of oil in a sauté pan over a medium heat.
- Cook the patties in batches until golden brown on both sides. Keep warm in the oven until ready to serve.