- 125 grams icing sugar, sifted
- 250 grams Mainland Unsalted
- Butter, softened at room
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 350 grams plain flour
- 30 grams corn starch
- 150 grams dark chocolate
- finely chopped pistachios for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 180°C. Line two trays with baking paper.
- Using a spatula, cream together the icing sugar, butter, and vanilla. Sift the flour and corn starch together, add to the creamed mixture and mix until just incorporated.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Press the dough together and shape into a rectangle 12cm wide. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes to firm up slightly.
- Place the chilled dough between two large sheets of baking paper and roll out into a large rectangle about 3cm thick. Then use a sharp knife to cut it into sticks roughly 5cm wide x 10cm long.
- Re-roll any scraps to make more sticks.
- Carefully transfer the shortbread sticks onto the lined baking sheet. Make sure they’re fairly straight and correct any bends.
- You can arrange the shortbread sticks fairly close together as they don’t spread during baking.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until they’re light golden all over with only slightly darker, golden brown ends.
- Remove from the oven and cool on the baking sheet for about 10 minutes, then transfer them to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- Chocolate dip:
- Place ¾ of the chocolate in a bowl and place it over a saucepan of simmering water, stirring until melted. Remove from the heat. Add the remaining chocolate to the bowl and mix until it is also melted and well combined.
- Pour the melted chocolate into a narrow glass or other narrow container that will give you a deep layer of chocolate. (You want to be able to dip at least half of each shortbread stick into the melted chocolate).
- Allow the chocolate to cool slightly before you start dipping.
- Dip each shortbread stick into the melted chocolate. After dipping, shake gently to help any excess chocolate drip away, then transfer onto a lined baking tray and sprinkle with finely chopped pistachios.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.