Paired with micro-greens, lemon, capers and a chilled pinot gris, our Cheesy Potato Smoked Fish Croquettes will delight your guests and have them coming back for more. Made with our Special Reserve Gouda cheese, these little nuggets can be made with leftover potatoes from the night before.
- 450g cold mashed potato
- 1 cup Mainland Special Reserve Gouda Cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp chopped chives
- 1 red onion, peeled and very finely diced
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 180g smoked fish, flaked
- Oil for frying
- 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups panko crumbs
- Aioli, pesto, capers and lemon wedges to serve
- In a large bowl combine potato, grated Mainland Special Reserve Gouda Cheese, chives, red onion, egg and smoked fish, mix well.
- Divide mixture into 12, roll into thick croquettes or log shapes, then refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Place flour, egg and panko crumbs in separate bowls. Dip each croquette firstly into the flour, then egg and breadcrumbs. Chill until ready to serve.
- Heat 2cm of oil in a medium saucepan, and cook croquettes for about 4-5 minutes until golden and hot in the centre. Serve warm with aioli, parsley and capers.
Tip: Only cook around four croquettes at a time – overcrowding the pan will lower the heat and prevent them from getting crispy.