Appetisers don’t come much simpler, or more appealing than this Havarti, tomato and basil bruschetta. An Italian-inspired classic that’s perfect for your next get-together.
- 12 slices of French baguette, cut 1cm thick
- Olive oil for brushing
- 2 large ripe tomatoes
- 12 thin slices Mainland Special Reserve Creamy Havarti Cheese
- 12 small basil leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat grill to very hot.
- Brush baguette slices with olive oil and place on a baking tray. Grill on both sides until crisp around the edges. Alternatively, bake in a hot oven until golden on both sides.
- Slice tomatoes in half, discarding the cores. Roughly chop tomato halves and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- To serve, top the grilled bread with tomato, a slice of Mainland Special Reserve Creamy Havarti Cheese and a basil leaf.
Tip: Try this recipe with Mainland Feta for a light tangy flavour that works beautifully with tomatoes.