While on the hunt for the best Mac & Cheese in the country, we stumbled upon Kara's Bacon & Tomato. We reckon that it's the cream of the crop, voted for by kiwis.
- 100g Mainland Salted Butter
- 1 cup Blue Top Anchor Milk
- 1 cup Anchor cream
- 2 onions
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 Tbsp Plain Flour
- 250g fried chopped bacon
- 1 whole large tomato, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups Grated Mainland Tasty Cheese
- 2 cups Grated Mainland Noble Cheese
- Salt & Pepper
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1 whole pack of Macaroni pasta
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and preheat your oven to 180 degrees
- In a sacepan, heat your butter, thyme, salt and pepper, ready for your chopped onion and garlic. Let your onion fry for a couple of moments and add your flour, milk, cheese and cream and stir until you have a creamy cheese sauce.
- Chop your bacon and fry your bacon until just cooked, then mix your bacon into the cheese sauce, add tomato, and stir.
- In the meantime, boil your pasta for around 11 minutes or until al dente.
- Drain pasta and add to your cheese sauce until well mixed, then pour macaroni mixture into a buttered oven proof dish.
- Top with grated tasty cheese, salt and pepper and pop into the oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown.