Our Mainland Swiss Cheese in these big-on-flavour savoury waffles are a glorious way to start the day. This recipe by Kelly Gibney can be made in advance so are a perfect way to create a brunch for friends that doesn’t have you in the kitchen the whole time. They are gluten free too, so great for those with dietary requirements.
- 4 free-range eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 ½ cups Mainland Swiss Cheese – grated
- ¾ cup tapioca flour
- 1 ½ cups almond meal / ground almonds
- 60g baby spinach leaves – roughly chopped
- 120g free-range ham slices – diced
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper
- Olive oil for greasing waffle iron
To serve: Avocado slices, butter, tomato relish, toasted seeds
- Combine the eggs, milk, and grated cheese. Whisk together. Add the remaining ingredients, season generously and stir briskly until evenly combined.
- Heat the waffle iron and lightly grease it with olive oil.
- Pour 1/3 cup of batter into the waffle iron (this will depend on the size of your iron). Spread to the edges and cook until golden brown. Store in a warm oven until you’ve repeated this process with the remaining batter.
- Serve hot with butter, avocado, relish and toasted seeds.
Leftover waffles can be stored in the fridge for up to 24 hours or frozen for up to 1 month. Reheat waffles under a hot grill.