- 125g Mainland Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1/2 cup golden syrup
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 1/2 cups plain flour
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Beat butter, syrup and sugar in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until creamy and paler in colour. Add egg yolk; beat until just combined. Add combined sifted flour and spices; stir until mixture just comes together.
- Knead dough gently on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease oven trays, lining with baking paper.
- Roll dough on a lightly floured surface until 3mm thick. Dip cookie stamps in flour then tap off excess. Stamp the dough, then using a cutter cut out cookies.
- Arrange on trays about 3cm apart. Bake cookies for 10 minutes or until light golden. Stand cookies on trays for 5 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool.
Store cookies in an airtight container and package just prior to gifting to ensure freshness. You can use any clean stamp for stamping the dough, fabric stamps work well or cut dough into other festive shapes such as Christmas trees or gingerbread men.