Packed full of flavour and stacked with nutritious fillings, this loaded sweet potato recipe by Rhiannon Baldock is always a crowd pleaser. Topped off with perfectly melted Mainland Havarti these beauties are perfect alone or can also be served with a side salad.
- 2 large sweet potatoes - cut in half lengthways
- Rice bran oil
- ½ onion - thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves - minced
- 250g mushrooms - sliced
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 3 bacon rashers - sliced and cooked
- 3tbsp pesto
- 1 cup baby spinach
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup Mainland Havarti Cheese – grated
- To serve: Spring onion
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius. Bake the sweet potato in rice bran oil and seasoning for 35-45 minutes or until tender.
- In a pan, soften the onions for a couple of minutes over a medium heat. Add the garlic, follow by the sliced mushrooms, and cook until the mushrooms have coloured and softened. Remove from the heat.
- To the mushroom mixture, stir in the quinoa, bacon, baby spinach and pesto. Season to taste.
- Make an incision lengthways in each sweet potato, not slicing down the entire length or to the base. Use a spoon to push the flesh to the sides, making a well for the filling to sit.
- Evenly divide the quinoa filling into each sweet potato well. Sprinkle with the Mainland Havarti cheese, then bake in the oven for a further 10-15 minutes or until the centre is hot.
- Serve straight from the oven, and sprinkle with sliced spring onion if desired.