The aroma of freshly baked cheese scones is one of life’s joys. These beauties are packed with our Mainland Vintage Cheddar Cheese to give them their fantastic flavour. Make sure you eat them warm with our Mainland Buttersoft, because that’s when they’re at their best.
- Preheat your the oven to 220°C ℃ bake. Line a baking sheet with non-stick baking paper.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- Grate in the cold butter, then rub it into the flour mixture until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add in 110 grams of the Mainland Vintage Cheddar cheese Cheese and mix well.
- In a jug, whisk the milk and eggs. Remove 2 tablespoons and set aside. Pour the remainder into the scone mixture and use a fork to mix well, until a rough dough forms. Use your hands to bring it together, making sure there’s nothing is left stuck to the side of the bowl.
- Dust your work surface with a little flour, tip out the dough and press it into a round shape, then roll out to roughly 25cm round x 3 cm high.
- Use a floured 7.5cm round pastry cutter to cut out as many scones as possible (or cut with a knife) and place on the lined baking sheet. Gather up any leftover dough and repeat the process until it’s all the dough is used up.
- Brush the top of each scone with the reserved milk mixture and sprinkle with the remaining grated Mainland Vintage cheddar Cheddar cheeseCheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes until risen and golden brown on top.
- Remove and cool on a wire rack before serving with Mainland Buttersoft.