A cheesy potato bake is a dish made for the cooler months. Layers of thinly sliced potatoes combine with three of our gorgeous creations from the Grated range – Tasty, Parmesan and Colby – to make a hearty side. It’s perfect for sharing at Sunday lunch, for a family dinner, or with a beautiful roast – this dish does it all.
- Mainland Butter
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 650ml Anchor Milk
- 400ml Anchor Cream
- 900g Agria potatoes, peeled and very thinly sliced (a mandolin is good for this)
- 250g streaky bacon
- 100g Mainland Tasty Grated Cheese
- 100g Mainland Parmesan Grated Cheese
- 100g Mainland Colby Grated Cheese
- 30 x 20cm ovenproof roasting dish
- Mainland Butter for greasing
- Preheat the oven to 180°C bake. Grease your roasting dish with Mainland Butter.
- Pour the milk and cream into a large saucepan and add the potato slices and garlic cloves. Bring to the boil, then remove from the heat and set aside, leaving the potato to infuse in the liquid for 10 minutes.
- Slice the bacon into thin strips and cook in a non-stick fry pan on medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until golden and crispy. Then remove, drain on paper towels and set aside.
- Place the three Mainland cheeses in a large bowl and mix together.
- Use a slotted spoon to lift the potatoes out of the milk and cream mixture and start layering them into your greased roasting dish until the base is covered.
- Scatter over some of the cheese and sprinkle over some bacon. Repeat with another layer of potatoes, then add some of the cream mixture, and more cheese and bacon until the dish is full. Pour over any remaining cream mixture and finish with a final layer of cheese and bacon.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the top layer of cheese is golden and bubbling. Check the potatoes are tender by piercing with a knife. Return to the oven for a few more minutes if needed, until they are cooked through. Remove and serve.