A thoroughly delectable combination of venison and pork patties layered with caramelised onions, capsicum, mushrooms, lettuce and aioli capped off with generous helpings of Mainland Creamy Blue Cheese.
Blue Bambi was created by Jared Bozas who entered the Burger Burger and Mainland Burger-By-Design competition.
- 4 buttered buns
- 4 Tbsp Mainland Creamy Blue cheese
- 4 Tbsp aioli
- 4 cos lettuce leaves
4 venison patties
- 600g venison mince
- 200g pork mince 50% fat
- 90g Mainland Creamy Blue Cheese
8 Tbsp caramelised onions
- 120g brown onion
- 25g brown sugar
- 5ml canola oil
- 10ml balsamic vinegar
1 whole roasted red capsicum (cut into 1/4s)
- 1 red capsicum
- 30ml camola oil
- 2g peeled garlic
- 1g salt
- 1g pepper
12 medium sized field mushrooms - panko crumbed
- 12 field mushrooms
- 20g garlic
- 50ml canola oil
- 20g panko crumbs
- 20g flour
- 2 eggs
- Take a large bowl and mix together the pork and venison mince, add salt and pepper and mix through.
- Portion out 4 patties and roll into balls, push a hole into the middle of each ball with your thumb and stuff with Mainland Creamy Blue cheese.
- Flatten out each ball to 2cm thick patties.
- Heat oil in a fry pan till hot and cook the patties for approximately 5 minutes on each side until they are cooked through the middle, season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a fry pan and sweat off the chopped onions.
- Add the brown sugar to the pan and cook for 2 minutes. Next add the balsamic vinegar and cook for a further 5 mins on a low temperature until caramelised.
- Leave to cool.
Roasted red capsicum
- Heat the oven to 220°C.
- Cut the capsicum into quarters and dice the garlic.
- In a baking tray add capsicum, sprinkle the garlic over the capsicums and drizzle with olive oil.
- Cook until the capsicum is roasted through approximately 10 minutes, season with salt and pepper.
Panko crumbed mushrooms
- Rinse the mushrooms in a large bowl and dice the garlic.
- Heat oven to 220°C.
- Place the whole mushrooms on a baking tray, sprinkle the garlic over the mushrooms. Drizzle with olive oil and with salt and pepper.
- Cook mushrooms in the oven until they are cooked through.
- Take three medium-sized bowls, add panko crumbs to one, flour to another and egg wash to the other.
- Dip the mushrooms in the flour, then the egg and finally coat with the panko crumbs.
- Take a shallow saucepan and heat the oil over a medium heat until it bubbles, approximately 5 - 8 minutes. Shallow fry the mushrooms for a few minutes until they are a nice golden brown colour and then leave to rest on paper towels to drain excess oil.
To assemble the burger
- Cut the buns in half, butter them and then toast them under the grill for a few seconds.
- Add 2 Tbsp of caramelised onion to the bottom of each bun.
- Take a 1/4 of the roasted red capsicum and place on top of the onions and then top with the cooked venison patty. Add three panko crumbed mushrooms to each burger and then dollop the aioli, creamy blue cheese and finish with adding the cos lettuce.
- Place the top of the bun on to your burger and serve!