Aptly named The Grunt, it’s the sound of enjoyment you’ll make as you chomp your way through this tantalizing, behemoth of a burger. Sandwiched between two toasted buns is a spicy pork patty, caramelized onions, red cabbage slaw plus lashings of Mainland Creamy Blue Cheese. Top it off with honey walnut pesto and you’re ready to chow down!
The Grunt was created by Angie Frires who entered the Burger Burger and Mainland Burger-By-Design competition.
- 4 burger buns
- 4 Tbsp Mainland Creamy Blue Cheese
4 pork patties
- 600g pork mince
- 150g pork mince, 50g pork fat
- 1/4 tsp All Spice powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
4 Tbsp caramelized onions
- 1 large brown onion
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 5ml canola oil
- 10ml balsamic vinegar
4 Tbsp honey walnut pesto
- 7 walnut pieces
- 2 Tbsp honey (runny)
- 75ml rice bran oil
- 2 sprigs of mint - leaves only
- 4 sprigs of parsley - leaves only
8 Tbsp apple, red cabbage and mint slaw
- 1/4 red cabbage
- 2 Granny Smith apples
- 3 sprigs of mint - leaves only
- 1 Tbsp mayonnaise
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 medium red onion
- 1g salt 1g pepper
- Take a bowl and combine both pork minces with all dry ingredients.
- Next mix through the tomato and Worcestershire sauce.
- Once combined, roll the patties in to four 200g portions.
- Heat oil till hot, place patties in pan, season to taste and cook through for approximately five minutes.
Apple, mint and red cabbage slaw
- Finely dice the red onion and add to a bowl.
- Peel the apples and finely cut into long sticks along with the red cabbage, add both of them to the bowl.
- Pick the mint leaves and add to the bowl.
- Finish by mixing through the mayonnaise and squeezing in the lime juice, season with a good pinch of salt and pepper.
Honey walnut pesto
- Take a food processor and add half the portion of walnuts and all other ingredients, blitz to a fine crumble.
- Next add the other half of the walnuts and blitz again for a couple of seconds, this will add a little more texture to your pesto and give your burger a nice crunch.
- Roughly chop up the onion.
- Heat oil in a fry pan and sweat off the onions for a couple of minutes.
- Next add the brown sugar to the pan and cook for approximately two minutes. After two minutes add the balsamic vinegar and cook for a further five minutes on a low temperature, this will caramelize the onions and create a delicious rich flavour.
- Once ready, leave to cool.
To assemble the burger
- Cut the buns in half, butter them and then toast them under the grill for a few seconds till the butter is melted and they begin to brown.
- Add one Tbsp of caramelized onions to the bottom of each bun.
- Top with a pork patty and one Tbsp of Mainland Creamy Blue Cheese.
- On top of the patty and blue cheese add two Tbsp of the crispy slaw.
- On the top of the bun add one Tbsp honey walnut pesto.
- Place the top of the bun on to your burger and serve.