- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp fennel seeds
- 350g pork fillet, roughly chopped in food processor
- 250g streaky bacon, roughly chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Large handful flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 200g grated Mainland Epicure cheese
- 50g mascarpone or crème fraiche
- 6 eggs
- 400g savoury shortcrust pastry
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Saute' the onion for 4 - 5 minutes until cooked but not browned. Add the fennel seeds, pork and bacon and season generously with salt and pepper. Cook for a further 5 - 7 minutes or until the pork is cooked. Set aside to cool completely.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C Fan. Add the parsely, cheese, mascarpone and 4 eggs to the cooled mixture and gently combine.
- Roll two thirds of the pastry out so it is large enough to line a 24cm diameter x 4cm high loose-bottomed tin. Place the pastry in the tin leaving any extra draping over the sides. Place 1/2 of the mixture into the pastry case the crack in the two remaining eggs. Top with the remaining pork mixture then roll out the remaining pastry to cover the surface. Trim the edges then pinch together using your fingers. Prick the top several times with a fork and brush with additional beaten egg.
- Cook in the pre-heated oven for 45 – 55 minutes or until golden and crisp. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for about 15 minutes before removing from the tin and cutting into wedges. Can be served warm or cold.